Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Regret


I do not enjoy regret. I avoid it as I think we all do. But sometimes, perhaps too often we make decisions based on incorrect assumptions, and then we must regret them.

I have been thinking of the subject lately, because I cut off communication with a friend years ago. Not a just a friend--my best friend. I believed she had wronged me and would not allow her to explain her actions. I have recently gotten back in touch with this friend and found out, she felt just as wronged as I. It was all due to a lack of communication and resulted in years of no contact.

During those years, I got married and had two darling little boys. Those were events that in the past I had always imagined my friend would be a part of. Now they are sweet memories for me, but I am saddened that she wasn't there.

Regret cannot change that past, but I think it is the natural consequence for some bad decisions. I miss having her as my best girl friend, and I am not sure I will ever get that back.

There are great lessons to be learned from a little regret.

I recently looked at my wedding photos and realized this one should have had my friend in it. There is room to the far left for her and everything.

2 comments:

teabelly said...

wow! well said. i think we all can relate. i know i can. i admire you for making that contact and healing that hurt!

Kate said...

Thanks Kim, I'm trying to heal the hurt...it is a long and winding road!